Discussion: Hormone Replacement Therapy
In recent years, hormone replacement therapy has become a controversial issue. When prescribing therapies, advanced practice nurses must weigh the strengths and limitations of the prescribed supplemental hormones. If advanced practice nurses determine that the limitations outweigh the strengths, then they might suggest alternative treatment options such as herbs or other natural remedies, changes in diet, and increase in exercise.
Consider the following scenario:
· As an advanced practice nurse at a community health clinic, you often treat female (and sometimes male patients) with hormone deficiencies. One of your patients requests that you prescribe supplemental hormones. This poses the questions: How will you determine what kind of treatment to suggest? What patient factors should you consider? Are supplemental hormones the best option for the patient, or would they benefit from alternative treatments?
· Review Chapter 56 of the Arcangelo and Peterson text, as well as the Roberts and Hickey (2016), Lunenfeld et al (2015), and Makinen and Huhtaniemi (2011) articles in the Learning Resources.
· Review the provided scenario and reflect on whether or not you would support hormone replacement therapy.
· Locate and review additional articles about research on hormone replacement therapy for women and/or men. Consider the strengths and limitations of hormone replacement therapy.
· Based on your research of the strengths and limitations, again reflect on whether or not you would support hormone replacement therapy.
· Consider whether you would prescribe supplemental hormones or recommend alternative treatments to patients with hormone deficiencies.
With these thoughts in mind:
· a description of the strengths and limitations of hormone replacement therapy. (I am looking for an explanation at the cellular or molecular level (whenever possible).
· Based on these strengths and limitations, explain why you would or why you would not support hormone replacement therapy.
· Explain whether you would prescribe supplemental hormones or recommend alternative treatments to patients with hormone deficiencies and why.
Points to follow when writing a paper:
· Please all bullets points, bold, red and highlighted area must be attended to.
· A clear purpose statement (The purpose of this paper is to…) is required in the introduction of all writings.
· Please review all rubrics.
· Check APA format/setting.
· Your final paragraph should be a summary of the key points of your paper.
· Please personalized where necessary.
Refrain from direct quote
you are required to cite scholarly resources including peer-review journals and current practice guidelines.
May use https://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/clinicians-providers/guidelines-recommendations/index.html
Rules for writing (FYI)
Whether writing a discussion posting or a paper, keep a few things in mind—
2) I am not looking for pathophysiological explanations that we would give to patients (e.g. “your heart just isn’t pumping the right way). While this explanation is acceptable for patient teaching, it will not cut it in a course titled “advanced pathophysiology.” To be very specific- I am looking for you to tell me the precise aberrancies (or theorized aberrancies) which inexorably lead to disease states. Thanks.