For your final paper, you will select one aspect of cultural diversity that you would like to study in depth. For example, consider the following: * (For improved memory and increased awareness, remember the mnemonic, GARREACS.)
You will prepare a research paper in which you will discuss the following:
1. Research and examine the pertinent historical, political, social, economic and cultural factors.
2. Consider and summarize any relevant developmental theory models.
3. Identify the relevant laws or programs that have either helped or restricted access to care and support.
4. Distinguish and analyze the common issues related to life challenges and this aspect of diversity.
5. Evaluate how this, in combination with two other aspects of diversity, can lead to increased needs or issues. For example, if someone is female, African American, and lesbian, will there be additional challenges? Select any combination of 3 aspects of diversity to discuss.
6. Identify and describe at least two resources currently available in your area for someone needing special services.
7. Discuss any relevant personal experiences or new insights you have had related to this aspect of diversity.
8. Explain how your personal characteristics will either complement or conflict with this diversity issue. Consider your own biases and prejudices or those of your family of origin.
9. Discuss relevant concerns, cautions or insights necessary for you to be a culturally competent human service professional.
10. Activity: For fun, discuss how the mnemonic GARREACS will help you remember this list of possible areas of diversity that you could encounter in human service work. If you would like, create a new mnemonic that makes more sense to you and include it in your discussion!
This paper will be:
Eight-to-ten pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in your approved style guide.
Must include a cover page that includes:
Name of Paper
Course name and number
Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis.
Must include a minimum of 7 APA sources.
Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph.
Must use APA style as outlined in your approved style guide to document all sources.
Must include a Reference list that is completed according to APA style formatting.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.