- Apply a range of techniques for creating different types of presentation aids
- Demonstrate how to incorporate presentation aids successfully into a speech
In this practice exercise, you will explore the process of determining points within a speech that can benefit from the use of presentation aids during the delivery.
A one-page (250-word) paper and an original presentation aid
Refer back to a past outline .
Type of OutlineDescription and CharacteristicsUseWorking Outline Formal Outline Delivery Outline
Step 2 Read the outline.
Identify two points that would have more impact if they were accompanied by presentation aids during the delivery. Consider the specific goal that you wrote for the speech and how including presentation aids can increase the likelihood of achieving the specific goal.
Step 3 Add identifying information.
From the outline copy and paste the following identifying information for your speech.
- General Purpose
- Specific Purpose
Step 4 Add two points for achieving your goal.
Copy and paste the two points that you believe would improve your chances of achieving the specific goal of your speech if they were delivered with accompanying presentation aids.
Step 5 Identify need for presentation aids.
Below each point you selected, identify the function(s) for which including a presentation aid will help. Examples of functions served by presentation aids include:
Step 6 Determine presentation aids.
Based on the type of information the points selected contain and the function(s) the presentation aids would serve, determine the type(s) of presentation aids that would best support your points.
- When identifying the type of presentation aid, keep in mind that you will be creating one of these presentation aids as the next step in the assignment. You must be able to submit the presentation aid electronically.
- Enter the information about the presentation aids for the two points into your word processing document.
- Include a brief explanation of how each type of presentation aid will support the corresponding point in the speech.
Step 7 Create a presentation aid.
Select one of the presentation aids that you identified and create it. For example, you could:
- Use a software application such as Microsoft Excel to create a chart or graph.
- Create a few PowerPoint slides that you would use during a specific part of your presentation.
- Take a digital photograph that illustrates a concept or point in your speech.
- Record a portion of an interview as an mp3 file.
These are just a few ideas of how you could create a presentation aid for your speech. Whatever type of presentation aid you create, follow the guidelines presented in the lesson to make the presentation aid as effective as possible.
Step 8 Write a summary.
In a one-page (250-word) summary, describe how you would incorporate the presentation aid into your speech delivery.
- At what point would you introduce the presentation aid? How would you use it to enhance your presentation?
- Are there any special considerations you should take into consideration when preparing to present your speech based on including the presentation aid?