HW- 3 Risk and Air Pollution Due: Sep 21, 2015 Wednesday 8 am.
Read the articles in the following order of publish date starting with the earliest.
USC Study Links Smoggy Air to lung Damage in Children, Sep 17 2004
USC study Examines near-roadway air pollution as contributor to asthma September 25, 2012
Take a deep breath – you may not like what’s up in the air July 15, 2014
LA’s Environmental Success Story: Cleaner Air, Healthier Kids Mar 4 2015
Answer the following questions according to your understanding of the problem:
1) What are the most interesting three takeaways for you from these readings?
2) Does Asthma still pose a health risk for people living in the U.S. and in the world? Why or why not?
3) What possible air pollution related factors (risk factors) influence asthma or lung malfunctioning according to the research? What are the sources of these factors according to the reading?
4) What has been done to reduce those factors mentioned in “2” already?
5) Picture yourself as the environmental engineer working for the EPA, charged with the responsibility of assessing the risk associated with air toxins for the future? How would you approach this? What steps would you follow? Do you have enough information to make conclusions?
6) Do you believe that the current conditions a good indicator that we are reducing the risk due to air toxins? Explain your reasoning. Additional Specs:
Use times new roman, 12pt, 1.5 paragraph spacing
Total length should not exceed 2 pages.
This homework will be assessed with “Safe Assign”, if you take information from other sources remember to cite them.