Due Week 6
When working with second language learners, the main focus of your classroom efforts is the development of literacy in English. Often, classroom materials and textbooks provide content information but little direction on how to deliver this content. Therefore, having a repertoire of strategies to develop literacy in
English is crucial.
Select 5 literacy strategies that you would like to establish as the foundation of your “teacher toolbox”.
These strategies can be gathered from course materials, textbooks from other courses, school-based resources, professional journals, or carefully vetted online resources.
Once you have selected the 5 strategies, write the following for each:
- Name of strategy/author (creator) if one is given
- What component of literacy does it target? (vocabulary, comprehension, oral language, grammar, writing, phonics, fluency, etc.)
- What level of language proficiency do ELLs need in order to use this strategy effectively?
- Give an explanation of how to use, incorporate, model, or use this strategy when working with English language learners. Include steps for implementation and present a teaching example as needed to clarify.
Include any diagrams, chars, templates, etc. needed to implement this strategy.
- In your opinion, what theoretical rationale best supports the use of this strategy with ELLs?
When selecting strategies: two should address vocabulary development; two should address reading comprehension; and the other one can address any of the other reading/literacy components that you wish to develop.