For this assessment, you will visit this link from the Texas Tribune: https://graphics.texastribune.org/graphics/redistricting-cd35/ and then answer the following questions:
- What is redistricting? What is gerrymandering? How do both of these play into campaigns and elections?
- What was the original intent for redistricting the specified area in the first place?
- Was the redrawn district representative of the original intent and what have the courts had to say about this issue? Read this very recent article on this: https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2018-01-12/supreme-court-takes-up-fight-over-texas-electoral-districts
- As a citizen or resident of Texas, what do you think of the politicizing of districts in an effort to garner votes from specific types of people (race, ethnicity, gender, political party affiliation, etc)?
- What are your over all thoughts and impressions about this issue? Should the politicians be taken completely out of the redistricting procedure, in an effort to maintain a bit more fairness or is the current system working? Why or why not?
Please be sure to meet the requirements for posting in the discussion board. For more specifics, please refer to to the directions provided in the Start Here tab in eCampus. Do not forget your works cited. The link listed above must be cited. Any other research conducted, which is required, must also be included in your sources.